Starting a skincare routine without having to Know your Skin type is very risky. If you go online to buy cosmetics, you may find yourself torn between water-based and oil-based products. This is due to the fact that you are unaware of your skin type.
In truth, the vast majority of people do not. However, knowing this can not only help you fix your skin problem, but it will also help you make better skin care decisions.
This is due to the fact that each sort of skin has its own set of requirements. Learn more about how to know your skin type. Let us first explore the various types of skin before learning the methods.
You may also like: Summer Skincare Routine – Your Guide to Glass Skin.
Know your Skin Type –
There are basically 4 types of skin. According to experts, which are –
1. Normal Skin –
It’s the skin that’s neither too oily nor too dry, but just right. Some of its qualities are as follows:
- Good Circulation of blood
- The texture is light, soft, and smooth.
- No hyperpigmentation.
- Fine pores
2. Dry Skin –
Natural moisturizing ingredients, such as urea and amino acids, are found in your skin. There are also natural lipids, such as ceramides, fatty acids, and cholesterol, which help to keep your skin moisturized. You have dry skin if you don’t have these. The following are the qualities of such a skin:
- It’s tense, brittle, harsh, and looks dull
- There could be callus and scaling as well.
3. Oily Skin –
Oily skin is the result of excessive sebum production. Acne vulgaris and seborrhoea are common illnesses associated with this type of skin. Excess sebum production can also be caused by hormonal imbalances and the ingestion of oily foods. It has the following characteristics:
- Pores that are enlarged
- Even after washing, there will be oil on the face.
- It’s prone to acne
4. Combination Skin –
You have a combination of dry and oily skin in this case. It has the following characteristics:
- An oily T-zone (A T-zone refers to the forehead, nose, and chin area)
- Pores in the T-zone are enlarged.
- Cheeks that are normal to dry.
Then there’s sensitive skin, which is more reactive than regular skin and is easily irritated. That’s why it’s crucial to know your skin type:
- Every skin has distinct needs, “knowing your skin type is the first step in caring for it.”
- You should choose cosmetics and skincare items that are appropriate for your skin type.
- Those with oily or sensitive skin should choose these items carefully since oil-based products can irritate their condition. Oily and fried foods should also be avoided by persons with oily skin since they can cause excess sebum production.
- Similarly, persons with dry skin should choose moisturizers that contain natural moisturizing ingredients, as they will aid in reducing transepidermal water loss and moisture retention.
Let’s look at several methods for determining your skin type.
You may also find this helpful: Reduce Fine Lines on your Forehead with this easy routine!
How to know your skin type?
There is a very simple 2 step process:
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser first.
- Apply a blotting sheet to your face after half an hour.
The oil you will see on your sheet will explain your skin type.
- You have oily skin if the sheet reflects extra oil across your face.
- It’s likely that you have dry skin if it absorbs no skin at all.
- If you only have oil in your T-zone, you have mixed skin.
- You probably have normal skin if there isn’t much oil on your face.
There are also some smartphone apps that electronically detect the moisture content of your skin. This is yet another method so you can know your skin type.
Skin-Care Tips: Now that you know your skin type –
For Dry-Skin –
- When bathing, stay away from hot water.
- Use a gentle soap.
- Use a moisturizer with colloidal oat and ceramides, or any other natural moisturizer.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Consume a vitamin C-rich, well-balanced diet. Lemons, oranges, and other citrus fruits are some of the options.
For Oily-Skin –
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Eat a well-balanced diet and avoid unhealthy meals.
- With this skin type, pimples are quite common. Pricking it, on the other hand, can produce hyperpigmentation.
- Every day, wash your face.
For Combination & Normal Skin –
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water per day to stay hydrated. This is beneficial not just to your skin’s softness and suppleness, but also to your overall health.
- Wear Sunscreen: When going outside, don’t forget to put on sunscreen to protect yourself from harmful UV rays.
- Moisturize your skin to keep it nourished.
- At least twice a day, wash your face.
Apply these tips in your skincare routine to get healthy & glowing skin.
Now that you have read well about skincare tips and we hope you know your skin type!